Have you tried this yet? You can take regular lumber from the hardware store and "weather" or "age" it to look like old barn wood. Since that look is all the rage, and old barns aren't being torn down every day in everyone's neighborhood it's a great way to get the look. Here's how:
- Get 0000 Steel wool. Rinse under water.
- Pick it apart into little bits
- Add to a jar of vinegar (the variety you pick will affect the coloring of the stain--white made a very light aging for me. Try balsamic or apple cider for browner aging).
- Let the vinegar and steel wool mix "brew" for 24-48 hours.
- Shake well and then apply stain to wood.
- WAIT! It takes a few hours for the aging effect to really sink in to see what color you've created.