Monday, March 27, 2017

Emotions in the physical body

The first time I went for a massage, I hid my silent sobs as emotion started to drain out of my back muscles.  I wasn't particularly emotional going into the appointment, just tired as usual since I'd had my third baby a few months back.  My body hurt like crazy and I found a massage therapist to take me in.  The emotions that were dredged as she sunk her elbow deep into a muscle were hurtful words in a friendship and also forgiveness and a relief of letting go of the tightness of that hurt.

I walked out of that office that day simply amazed at the emotional work that had taken place.  What was hidden in my muscles?  It was fascinating, and that forgiveness was peaceful and free.  I was so amazed by this that I scheduled several more massages with the same therapist.  Not all had an emotional release element, but one other did.  Once I moved away from that town, I had to give up those amazing massages, and a number of other therapists I tried just didn't have that affect.

I was thinking of this mind body connection recently as I've been fascia-blasting.  I learned about it through a facebook ad, and then discussing it with other women in the products' facebook group.  It's interesting stuff.  I get a little weirded out when people start claiming it is curing random things, but as far as just releasing fascia I've found it beneficial, so I try to ignore the placebo effect type rantings.  For me what I've noticed is pulling apart or breaking (?) the fascia releases some of my arthritis pain.



Oh, but what I came here to write about--emotions!  The weirdest think about breaking up the fascia is the emotions that get released, most negative.  Why or how am I storing emotions in my body?  And is that why I am fat?  Am I holding hurt like a squishy pillow against my organs?  So freaking weird.  Anyway, I'm curious how that is related to the same instance I had 7ish years ago in a massage.  My theory is either she was breaking up fascia with the deep massage and the fascia held the emotions, or the reverse.  Perhaps its muscle holding it and I've gotten into the muscles with my fascia blaster the way she did the massage.  If you have studied anything like this and have insights, drop me a line, I'm curious!

2 comments:

  1. I have been studying emotions and the effect they have on the body for several years now and have seen amazing results from releasing negative emotions. In her book, The Molocules of Emotion, Dr Candice Pert explains how she discovered literal molecules of emotion. When you think about it it's emotions that run the body,ie when you're afraid your stomach tightens or knees shake, when you're embarrassed your face flushes etc etc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments~!

Chocolate Yogurt Oat Muffins

  1 C oat flour 1/2 C sugar 1/4 C cocoa powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 salt 1/2 C chocolate chips 1 egg 1/2 C plain greek yogurt 1/4 melted bu...