Sunday, November 25, 2012

Daring Greatly



I just got done watching some of this woman's TED talks and thinking about courage and vulnerability.  I, as do probably a lot of others, feel like the poster child of hiding from things due to fear of being vulnerable.  I've been job hunting for about a year now, and learning a lot about myself in the process of rejection.  I haven't seen really any financial success to speak of but I've felt the thrill of being rewarded for my own creation and creativity via this blog.  It's something I wanted to really say I tried this year and that is why I have posted almost every day since Jan 1.  I figure good, bad, ugly or boring I'm gonna post what I have to post, because if I don't I won't have ever really tried this thing.

My top sources of vulnerabily as a blogger are this:

1.  Picture quality, blog layout, blog provider, cool sounding URL, amount of times a project is pinned, number or lack of comments.

2.  Saying my truth rather than saying something catchy that I think people want to read

After watching the thought provoking talks by Brene I think if I'm really going to DO THIS the way I want to I'm going to have to let those fears go and keep doing it my way.  Trying to make something I think people want wears me out, but tapping into my own creativity is re-generating.  I feel so much pressure to have the time I spend show some kind of financial gain for our family and that's probably the biggest thing that keeps me from pursuing what I find invigorating mentally.  But a year later, with nothing to show from pursuing the *normal* way of making a living, why the heck not?!  Working for free better be fun work!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I could have written this myself! I have so much trouble with names too, this is the area where I overthink things and the results are not good. And now my craft has evolved past the original name, lol! Its hard to build a brand when you keep wanting to change names.....I fight with everything that you listed in your number one. All you can do is keep on keeping on and just use others successes to inspire your own growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobi,

    Thanks for being real and being you. Congrats on all the etsy sales. It is nice to have those pre-Christmas sales.

    And cinnamon in the book page - mmmm. That's one good smelling ornament.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments~!

Chocolate Yogurt Oat Muffins

  1 C oat flour 1/2 C sugar 1/4 C cocoa powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 salt 1/2 C chocolate chips 1 egg 1/2 C plain greek yogurt 1/4 melted bu...