Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Stroke Story, part 5


The doctor had some kind of a "map" of the brain that he showed me.. The map showed exactly what area of the brain controlled what. Almost every residual symptom of my stroke was listed right there in conjunction with an X-ray of the specific area that was a dead spot on my brain. Anyway, the X-ray didn't detect any new injuries to the brain, and I was sent home.


My daily life is quite affected by my stroke. Making simple decisions is extremely difficult for me. Deciding how important it is to make a decision, is hard. When I've finally made a decision, it's difficult for me to remember what I decided. I can't even remember why I decided to write this essay on my stroke. I enjoy writing. It helps relieve my anxiety a little.. I'd be embarrassed for anybody to know how long it takes me to write something. I used to consider myself a very good speller. I'm definitely NOT, any more. 


Reminiscing about my stroke has brought a few memories and questions to mind. Previous to my official "stroke", I had incidents that may have been indicators of an upcoming problem. I'm thinking that maybe I was experiencing "mini-strokes" well in advance of my regular stroke. I experienced numerous accidents, particularly "falls" off my truck or trailer. All of these falls were kind of questionable as to the reason "why" said accident occurred, and all of these many accidents happened a year or two just previous to the main stroke. I did have to have neck surgery because of a fall. I had to have knee surgery that might possibly have been connected to a fall. My brother always did suspect that I was having blackouts, dizzy spells, or SOMETHING out of the ordinary. 




A NOTE FROM BOBI:  I hope you learned something from my Dad's story that could help you identify a stroke in progress or just be sympathetic in a new way for those who have had this experience.  If you have any questions feel free to comment or send me an email and I and/or my Dad will do our best to answer them.

1 comment:

  1. Bobi, I commend you for telling your Dad's story on having a stroke and the aftermath. Somehow I missed parts 1-4 and had to go back and read them. Your dad is very fortunate, and his story will definitely help someone. It has helped me to partially understand what my mom went through when she had her stroke. She got up one morning at 4'oclock like she always did to fix breakfast and fell out in the hallway. By the time my Dad got up a few hours later, my mom was in a coma and never regained consciousness. Thinking back, she showed signs of having mini strokes but we were unaware at the time. If only we had known. Your dad's story is a great service to the community. Bless him and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments~!

Chocolate Yogurt Oat Muffins

  1 C oat flour 1/2 C sugar 1/4 C cocoa powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 salt 1/2 C chocolate chips 1 egg 1/2 C plain greek yogurt 1/4 melted bu...