Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Purpose and Insignificant lives


This morning I was doing my routine of dishes while listening to a podcast.  I used the dishwasher, but also need to handwash a bunch of silicone and stainless steel straws.  It happened to be Tim Ferriss interviewing Ken Burns, the filmaker.  First of all, its an excellent listen.  My heart is bursting with new ideas.

But something that has been tumbling around in my brain space the last few days is purpose.  I'm a little lost having been out of the workforce for 17! years now and not having much luck with my applications now that I'm trying to weasel my way back in.  My kids are in school, and they keep me plenty busy before and after as well as cleaning and prepping for them when they are gone.  I also have writing that calls to me as well as sewing design.

I'm not not busy. But I am craving $pay and stability and the rewards of work well done.  I'd like to save for retirement and feel more secure and feel like I contribute and support my kids in that way.  I'm praying and looking for guidance in what I should be doing.  I feel like my options are to work near minimum wage to get actual experience in this decade for my resume and someone that can be called for references.

So today as I was listening (and processing the interviews I've been reading) I realized the bulk of what I consume is about big significant players.  Like a filmaker whose work has been watched by the hundreds of millions.  That's influence!  I want to make a difference too!  That is on my mind a lot, how my small time on earth can influence for good.  Do you every ponder/worry/consider that?

Today, my question for myself is what will you do with your insignificant life?  What will that look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments~!

Chocolate Yogurt Oat Muffins

  1 C oat flour 1/2 C sugar 1/4 C cocoa powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 salt 1/2 C chocolate chips 1 egg 1/2 C plain greek yogurt 1/4 melted bu...